Code of Conduct
The Morinaga Group’s corporate principles reflect our vision (basic philosophy), which is “Delicious, Fun, and Healthy,” and our mission, which is “We aim to contribute to the realization of abundant, safe eating choices and the promotion of health among the people of the world. To this end, we provide products, services, and information offering value and inspiration through business based on our pioneering spirit.”
In realizing our corporate principles, we have positioned customer trust as the most precious value for us, and we cherish our relationships of trust with customers.
We are aware that this trust is premised on continuing to develop and provide customers with products, services, and information that contribute to society, on placing the utmost priority on creating excellent quality products, and on ensuring customer safety and well-being, while at the same time expanding all Group company business activities in accordance with our corporate principles and in compliance with laws and ordinances, the corporate Code of Conduct, and internal regulations. Furthermore, in order to fulfill our corporate social responsibility and public mission, we are proactively undertaking initiatives to protect the global environment and contribute to society by endeavoring to achieve symbiosis with society in addition to sustainable growth.
To this end, we aim to establish a comfortable, positive corporate atmosphere where standards of conduct are fully upheld in daily business activities based on a firm understanding of the spirit of our Code of Conduct.
- 1. Promote customer-focused management and ensure excellent product quality together with safety and peace of mind
- We will thoroughly implement the policy of customer-focused management while developing products, services, and information that contribute to society and by placing the utmost priority on excellent product quality together with safety and peace of mind.
- 2. Strictly comply with laws and ordinances, the corporate Code of Conduct, and internal regulations
- We will comply with the corporate Code of Conduct, all laws and ordinances, and internal regulations in accordance with social conventions and norms.
- 3. Undertake business activities based on open, transparent, and free competition
- We will pursue business activities based on open, transparent, and free competition.
- 4. Place the utmost importance on communication
- In addition to maintaining good communication with all stakeholders (customers, society, suppliers, business partners, employees, and shareholders), we will ensure the reliability of accounting and financial reports, endeavor to enhance the transparency of management, and disclose corporate information in a proactive and accurate manner.
- 5. Protect the environment and contribute to society
Under an environmental philosophy that emphasizes the need to be kind to the environment, we will incorporate environmental considerations into every aspect of our business activities. Furthermore, by moving beyond our social activities as a good corporate citizen, we will proactively undertake social contributions that promote the healthy physical and mental development of children worldwide under our key concept of “Morinaga: treating people everywhere with kindness and valuing children.”
- 6. Reject and oppose antisocial forces
- We will decisively oppose antisocial forces that threaten the good order and safety of society.
- 7. Respect human life and dignity
- We will respect the personalities and individuality of work colleagues and strive to establish a workplace environment that instills safety, abundance, and comfort.
- 8. Practice the Code of Conduct
By recognizing that putting the spirit of the Code of Conduct into practice, corporate officers and top management will take the initiative and set the example for others in building an effective internal control system and ensuring that employees are fully appraised and invested in the Code of Conduct by proving Morinaga worthy of customer trust. In the unlikely event of a breach of the Code of Conduct, the situation will be promptly evaluated and determined. In addition to implementing all necessary measures, including the swift and accurate disclosure of information, we will endeavor to identify the root causes and implement preventive measures. We will clarify responsibilities and ensure strict disciplinary action as warranted.
Standards of Behavior
Based on the MORINAGA Group Code of Conduct, we have established the MORINAGA Group Standards of Behavior as shown below. The Standards of Behavior are rules that stipulate the behaviors and attitudes expected of all MORINAGA employees and associate employees. Moreover, both the Code of Conduct and the Standards of Behavior are promises that we make to customers. Within our individual roles, each of us must comply with the Standards of Behavior and prove ourselves worthy of customer trust.
- 1. We will respect the trust of customers and behave from the perspectives of customers.
- 2. In all business processes of products, services, and information planning to sales, we will behave in a manner that places the utmost priority on ensuring excellent product quality, safety, and reliability.
- 3. We will label products correctly and provide customers with accurate information.
- 4. We will endeavor to communicate to our shareholders, as well as with society, by proactively and fairly disclosing to the general public a broad range of corporate information in addition to accurate financial reports.
- 5. We will respond to the voices of customers with sincerity and speed and report information accurately.
- 6. We will comply with laws, ordinances, and internal regulations in accordance with the Code of Conduct.
- 7. If a conflict should arise between corporate interests and laws, ordinances, and internal regulations, we will choose without hesitation to comply with such laws, ordinances, and internal regulations.
- 8. We will demonstrate the courage to refuse, the courage not to hide, and the courage not to turn a blind eye.
- 9. We will neither leak nor misuse confidential corporate information.
- 10. We are aware of the importance of intellectual property rights and will take meticulous care to ensure that neither our own intellectual rights nor the rights of others are violated.
- 11. We will conduct business activities in the spirit of fairness, transparency, and free competition.
- 12. We will maintain a healthy and appropriate relationship with governmental and administrative bodies.
- 13. We will firmly oppose antisocial forces and not respond to illegal or inappropriate demands.
- 14. We will promote resource-saving, energy-saving, and recycling activities and endeavor to reduce waste and environmental pollutants.
- 15. We will respect our relationships with all people surrounding the MORINAGA Group, such as local communities, our business partners, and our shareholders.
- 16. We will neither accept nor provide excessive business entertainment or gifts.
- 17. We will respect the personalities and individuality of the people with whom we work and will not behave in a manner that comprises discrimination, sexual harassment, or abuse of authority.
- 18. We will endeavor to create a workplace environment with a positive and friendly atmosphere that is safe and easy to work in and where workers can experience a sense of fulfilment and comfort.
- 19. In the unlikely event of a breach of the Code of Conduct or the Standards of Behavior, we will evaluate and determine the materiality and the scope of the breach. In addition to implementing all necessary measures, including the swift and accurate disclosure of information, we will endeavor to identify the root causes and implement preventive measures.
MORINAGA & CO., LTD.
January 1, 2008