Pursuant to the Privacy Protection Act, Morinaga & Co., Ltd., (the “Company”) expressly states the following in respect of the purpose of use and handling of personal information of customers the Company obtains and retains:
1. Personal information handled by the Company
The Company obtains and retains the personal information of the customers listed below.
The personal information of customers will be used for the purposes indicated below only. If the information will be used for any other purpose, the Company obtains the consent of the customer in advance.
(1) Types of personal information to be maintained
- • Personal information obtained through mail-order business;
- • Personal information obtained through consumer campaigns and surveys of purchasing habits;
- • Personal information obtained through the websites of the Company;
- • Personal information obtained from the users of the golf courses owned by the Company;
- • Personal information obtained during inquiries, consultation and requests for disclosure of personal information;
- • Personal information obtained through contracts executed for transactions; and
- • Personal information obtained during the recruitment process.
(2) Purpose of the use of personal information
- • Shipment of products and books, and mailing of announcements of new products and books and services in mail-order business;
- • Shipment of gifts and bonus items during consumer campaigns;
- • Request for response in purchasing habit surveys and questionnaires for development of products and marketing policies;
- • Email based campaigns and the provision of distribution services for notification of new product information;
- • Identification of members in members-only websites;
- • Mailing of incentive information and members news to golf club users;
- • Response to inquiries from customers and requests for disclosure of personal information;
- • Mailing of greetings and announcements to representatives of business partners;
- • Selection, communication relating to the selection process, and notification of the results during recruitment activities.
2. Protection and control of personal information
The Company establishes the Privacy Protection Policy, the Rules for Handling of Personal Information, the Bylaws for the Handling of Personal Information, and other rules to comply with the Privacy Protection Act and other relevant laws and regulations.
The Company will carry out the education and enlightenment of its employees to enhance awareness of privacy protection.
In controlling the personal information of customers, the Company appoints a person responsible for each department which handles personal information to exercise appropriate control to prevent personal information from being disclosed outside the Company.
In respect of illegal access from outside the Company, the Company will implement safety measures at an appropriate and reasonable level by the installation of a defense system and its regular inspection and monitoring.
The Company will continuously review the above systems and measures to improve the systems.
3. Outsourcing of operations using personal information
The Company may commission all or part of its operations using personal information to a third party in carrying out consumer campaigns. The selection of the commissioned party will be limited to those companies who are deemed to have appropriate systems to handle personal information. The Company will also enter into an agreement which stipulates the proper protection of personal information.
The Company will also ensure that the commissioned party will exercise proper control of personal information and protection of confidentiality to prevent leakage of customers’ personal information.
4. Provision of personal information to a third-party
The Company will never disclose customer’s personal information to any third party without the consent of the customer except in the case of the above outsourcing. In the following situation, however, the Company may disclose or provide personal information without the consent of the customer.
(1) When required by law.
(2) When necessary for the protection of human life, body, or property but it is difficult to obtain the consent of the customer.
(3) When necessary to cooperate with government agencies and local public bodies on statutory duty and obtaining the consent of customer may undermine the execution of the duty.
(4) When it is deemed appropriate to have the Company’s affiliate, agency, or dealer to respond to the customer inquiry.
5. Procedures for complying with a request for disclosure of personal information
When a customer, or his or her representative, has requested disclosure, change, or discontinuation of the use of personal information of the customer retained by the Company, the Company will take action within a reasonable period and scope.